Expensively Free

Back in the year 1997, we buried my great-grandmother (this was my first burial to witness). At the burial, since we were a normal village family by the then 'normal' standards financially, the casket was put up on two stools at each end and covered by a handmade cream table cloth with blue flowers. Of course an address system would have been a luxury we could not afford and tents were made by my grandfather by sewing together fertilizer bags at their edges. With that kind of upbringing, some things I did not witness until I left the village for boarding school.
Fast forward and I witnessed a different kind of life setting a few years after my great grandmother's burial. First was a friend that got admitted at Nairobi Hospital, and oh my oh my, I was awed, I could not stop staring when I visited. The wards, pathways, cars at the parking, technology, food and even language, everything was shouting; PRESTIGIOUS. I could not help but think how good it was for my friend to be at Nairobi Hospital. All the time I was there, I did not even think of them as sick but lucky to be sick and still be at such a prestigious place. In all honesty, I felt intimidated. As if that was not enough, I attended a burial of a well known figure where I lived and I literally whistled. The set-up was better than of all weddings I had been to put together, the food was too sweet and too much, all relatives looked glamorous and did I mention the casket? That's a whole story on its own; the body was well pampered, with make-up to make it appear as living as possible, expensive suit, white leather on the inside of the casket and gold on the outside. Unlike our great-grandmother's casket, this one stood on a silver coated stand with love-heart signs. The relatives were mourning, but I could not feel their pain, because I thought the status they displayed at the burial made the dead 'less dead. Then I grew up in age, and later grew up in maturity.
As I type, am on a bed in a ward in the 'what I thought to be the prestigious' Nairobi Hospital, in pain and weakness, and I have to say, there is nothing prestigious about lying on a hospital bed, it does not make you less sick to be here rather than in the village clinic.
Earlier today when I tried to stand and brush my teeth in the sink next to my bed; and I had to move while supporting myself, I confirmed something I learnt a few years ago, that the most prestigious things in life are given for free but rarely recognized and/or appreciated. Its not how much money am given while here, its how much concern and love that makes my days bright.
As I took a selfie with my sister and we compared before and after photos, and how bad I was a few days ago, I couldn't help but marvel at how life sets itself before us. Am not sure if I told my relatives this, but the truth is, the pain was so much at some point that I contemplated giving up, I teared in sorrow, but I could not admit that I was that down to my relatives.
Life is full of gifts meant to be shared with others and to be appreciated daily. Did you know that bathing your back is a previllige one should thank their maker for? that having more materially than that person you despise is just a favor? Did you know that its not the value of the bed that gives you rest but the value of sleep? Did you know that passing stool is a previllige? Have you ever thought that having just the ability to go to work is more valuable than the highest paying job? But how often do we say grace? How often do we give thanks? Are we too much absorbed in greed of more that we forget to appreciate what we already have?
Did you know a thank you creates more trust than a request? How often do we thank those that show us love? How often do we thank the shopkeeper for being early for our convenience? How often do you thank that shabby guy you call only when you need stuff carried up the stairs? How often do you show appreciation? How often do you pray for others?
The most expensive, cost nothing. The most important use less energy. The most urgent need the least time.The most loving have no word love spoken, just shown...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweet Pain, Dead Peace

Feels Like a Hot Ice cube

THE PAINFUL PLEASURE- Confessions of a Mother